Find this popular restaurant in this comfortable family run ‘modern coaching inn’.
The kitchen changes the menu a little by the month, but include a mix of grills and more elaborate dishes.
A late Spring menu listed ‘Curried Sweet Potato & Coriander Soup with Coconut Cream’; ‘Warm Pigeon Breast with Black Pudding, Smoked Bacon & Wild Mushrooms’ and ‘Soft-Baked Duck Egg with Spinach, Mushrooms & White Truffle Toastie’ among the evening starters.
‘Moroccan Braised Lamb Shank with Spiced Mixed Pepper Couscous & Tamarind Sauce’; ‘Butternut Squash & Coconut Curry with Saffron Rice’; ‘Pan-Roasted Chicken Supreme with Green Beans, White Truffle Mash & Red Wine Sauce’ and ‘Pan-Fried Sea Trout with Smoked Bacon, Chorizo & Pea Fricasée’ listed among the mains.
Lunchtimes bring filled baguettes from the bar, plus perhaps ‘Sausages & Mash’ and ‘Fish & Chips’.
Desserts to tempt you, might include ‘Sticky Toffee Pudding’; Brioche Bread & Butter Pudding’ and ‘Winter Berry Mousse with Fresh Berries & Black Currant Sorbet’.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; mains about £13; set L £24.95 (3 courses);
- Dinner: all week 18.30-21.00; mains about £13 to £20
- Seats: 50, plus 28 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list has a good selection by the glass, plus modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Newbury Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes, adequate
- Outside eating
- Rooms available