Find this deservedly-popular Coffee Lounge/Restaurant (set over two floors), in a cleverly-converted old school building, in the centre of town.
You can enjoy excellent tea or coffee, plus cakes and light dishes displayed on a blackboard or have a full meal in the restaurant.
Chef/proprietor Ronnie Faulkner is a trained patissier, and has also worked in some of the countries best kitchens, so his standards are high.
On the restaurant menu, early summer brought 'Grilled Mediterranean Vegetables with Creamed Goats' Cheese, Pesto & Balsamic Reduction'; 'Poached Pears with Stilton and a Walnut & Raisin Salad'; 'Twice-Cooked Belly Pork with Black Pudding & Beetroot Chutney' and 'Confit Gressingham Duck Hash with Smoked Duck, Poached Egg & Butter Sauce' among the mains.
'Free-Range Breast of Cotswold White Hen stuffed with Goats' Cheese, Roasted Pepper, Fondant Potato & Red Pepper Jus'; 'Grilled Fillet of Plaice with Spinach, Crispy Crumbs and Cornish Mussels with a Tomat & Saffron Broth'; 'Wild Mushroom Risotto with Black Chanterelles, Champagne & Truffle Oil; and 'Roasted Sirloin of Cornish Lamb with a Herb Crust, Dauphinoise Potatoes, Shallot Syrup & Rosemary Jus' - plus a selection of Steaks listed among the mains.
Traditional desserts might include 'Apple Crumble with Clotted Cream'; 'Bread & Butter Pudding'; 'Chocolate Fondant with Cobnut Nougatine & Cherries' - plus a selection of ice creams (served with a tuile & fruit coulis).
Service is both friendly and helpful.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 10.00-14.30, Sun 12.00-16.00; set L £15 (2 courses), £20 (3 courses); L Tasting Menu £22 (5 courses); mains £16 to £21; L Sun £21 (2 courses), £25 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.30-21.00 (weekends 21,30); mains £16 to £21; Tasting Menu £55
- Seats: 50, plus about 20 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list, that travels the world, offers excellent value, plus a good selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Ground floor only
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: all Mon, check Christmas openings
- Outside eating