Find this popular foodie pub, dating from the 17th century, in this village thought to have taken its name from the Irish navies who lived here while the railway was being built.
You can eat in the beamed bar, the garden or in their dining room.
At lunchtime this ranges from light dishes, such as Filled Ciabattas and a popular Mezze Board to mains such as 'Suet Crusted Pie of the Day'; 'Burger Platters'; 'Fish & Chips and a few more elaborate dishes such as 'Fillet of Fresh Redfish with Noodles, Pak Choi, Roasted Red Peppers and Apricot & Ginger Sauce' and 'Marinated Shoulder of Cornish Lamb and Sweet Pepper Kebabs with Saffron & Almond Rice'.
While in the evening, the menu expands with the likes of 'Roasted Large Field Mushroom, Stuffed with Dolcelatte and Sicilean Sun Blushed Tomatoes'; 'St. Neots Smoked Salmon with Crème Fraiche, Salmon Caviar & Parsley Jelly' and 'Crispy Shredded Confit of Duck with Spring Onion & Pancetta Blinis, Chinese Raddish & Orange Salad' among the starters.
'Poached Red Gurnard with Mussels & Clams Provencale'; 'Pan-Fried Loin of Cornish Lamb with Herbs, Fondant Potato, Roasted Shallots, Green Beans & Tarragon Jus'; 'Pappardelle with Wild Mushrooms, Rocket & Hazelnuts, with Gorgonzola Sauce, Parsnip Crisps & Sour Cream' and 'Pork Shoulder Braised in Stock & Soft Herbs, Shredded & Rolled, then served with Buttered Apple Wedges , Crackling and Worcester Sauce Jus' - plus more simply-cooked items from the Grill - listed among the mains.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by 'Caramelised Orange Tart'; 'Hazelnut Liquier Crème Brulée' or 'Raspberry, Lemon & Amaretto Trifle'.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 11.30-14.30, Sun 12.00-17.00; mains about £11 to £21; set weekday L £15.95 (2 courses), £20.95 (3 courses); Sun Roasts from about £14
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.30; mains about £11 to £25
- Wine: a concise, but well-chosen, list travels the world, kicking off in the low £20's
- Children's portions: Children's Menu
- Nearest station: Biggleswade Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun
- Outside eating
- Rooms available