Find this good foodie inn, with comfortable bedrooms (q.v.), in the particularly-picturesque village of Elton. The pub itself has timber beams, an inglenook fireplace and a thatched roof.
During the week food is served in the bar, which also offers a good selection of real ales and fulfils the uses of a proper 'local'; while at the weekend more formal dining arrangements are opened in the form of the Orangery Dining Room. But in fine weather, it's very pleasant sitting on the outside decking.
The Bar menu (not offered on Saturday evenings), lists items ranging from freshly-made sandwiches through various burgers & kebabs, salads and omelettes. While more serious diners have a well-sourced seasonal menu which, on an early summer example listed 'Local Asparagus with a Softly-Poached Egg & Crispy Parma Ham on Brioche Toast with Truffle Dressing'; 'Chicken Liver & Brandy Parfait with Homemade Chutney & Toast' and 'Pappadelle Pasta Ribbons with a Creamy Slow-Braised Ham Hock, Mushroom & Parmesan Sauce' among the starters.
'Lasagne of Lamb & Courgette with Couscous, Tomato & Celery Salsa & Caramelised Onion Sauce'; 'Fillet of East Coast Haddock Deep-Fried in Beer Batter, Hand-Cut Chips & Tartare Sauce'; 'Skewer of Marinated King Scallops & Prawns with Risotto of Chorizo Sausage, Red Pepper & English Broad Beans & Grilled Bok Choy' and 'Loin of Tuna with Szechuan Pepper and an Oriental Stir-Fry' listed among the mains.
If you still have room you might be tempted by their excellent desserts, which might include Profiteroles with Vanilla Ice Cream & Chocolate Sauce - or by their selection of Farmhouse Cheeses.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.00, Sun 12.00-15.00; Bar Menu Mon-Sat, mains from about £12 to £20; L Sun set menu from £12.95 (1 course), £16.45 (2 courses), £19.95 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.30-21.00; Bar Menu (not D Sat) from £5.50; Mains from about £12 to £20
- Wine: a well-chosen list, kicking off in the low £20's & offers about half a dozen by the glass (including a sparkling variety)
- Children's portions: Children's menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Peterborough Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun
- Outside eating
- Rooms available