Find this popular local, also offering good food and a comfortable place to stay, opposite the 15th century village church. Expect an excellent selection of real ales, plus a timbered interior, open fires in chilly weather and an interesting collection of historical local photographs on the walls.
On the food front, the kitchen offers a menu that combines Italian dishes with top-quality local ingredients.
For a snack, two could just share a plate of Antipasti (particularly if only one liked oysters), but an early Summer menu also brought 'Watercress & Potato Soup'; 'Bruschetta of Braised Cuttlefish in Tomato Sauce with Olives'; 'Asparagus & Broad Bean Risotto with Mint & Parmesan' and 'Linguine with Brown Shrimps, Wild Trout, Fennel Seeds & Baby Tomatoes' among the starters.
'Baked Whole Plaice with Mersea Samphire & New Potatoes'; 'Pan-Fried Calf's Liver with a Warm Salad of Aubergines, San Marzano Tomatoes, Pinenuts & Sultanas'; 'Grilled Spring Lamb Chops with Baby Beetroots, Fennel & Salsa Verde' and 'Slow-Roast Gloucester Old Spot Pork Belly with Spinach, Lentils & Oregano' listed among the mains.
Friday evening brings the addition of various cuts of local, traditionally-hung, beef steaks.
While if you still have room their desserts, which follow the seasons like the rest of the menu, such as 'Chocolate & Mascarpone Tart'; 'Elderflower Semifreddo with Mint Syrup' and 'Strawberries in Chianti Classico with Cream' might tempt you while those with a more savoury tooth will find it hard to resist their selection of artisan British cheeses.
A small shop 'Victoria's Plum' selling fruit, vegetables and many other groceries; plus traiteur dishes and sauces either used or produced in the kitchen is attached to the pub (see our Shop section).
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.30, Sat & Sun 12.00-15.00; set L Mon-Fri £12.50 (2 courses), £15.50 (3 courses); mains about £10 to £20; set L Sun from £12.50
- Dinner: Mon-Thurs & Sun 18.30-21.30, Fri & Sat 18.30-22.00; mains about £10 to £20; set D £12.50 (2 courses), £15.50 (3 courses)
- Seats: 60; plus about 80 outside
- Wine: a well chosen and impressive list has modest mark-ups, and also offers an excellent selection of various carafes - plus an excellent selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: Manningtree Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec.
- Outside eating