An excellent family-run pub, where you'll find a bar offering real ales, old beams, stone walls, and an open fire. You can eat in the bar, outside on the patio (overlooking Derwent Reservoir) or in their dining room.
You can enjoy everything from freshly-cut Sandwiches & Wraps, Omelettes and Salads or go for a three course meal, with starters such as 'Pan-Fried King Prawns in Garlic Butter'; 'Smoked Kippers with a Side Salad' and 'Bruschetta with Mozzarella, Sun-Dried Tomato & Roasted Peppers' typifying the style.
While mains might include 'Steak & Ale Pie'; 'Slow-Braised Oxtail with Black Pudding Mash & Guinness Gravy'; 'Fish Pie' various Steaks, plus blackboard specials such as 'Local Venison Burger with Onion Rings'; 'Pan-Fried Swordfish with Lime, Chili & Coriander Butter' and 'Fresh Crab Salad with Chive Mayonnaise' also figure.
Homemade-style desserts shouldn't be missed, while those with a more savoury tooth should enjoy their selection of local cheeses.
An adjacent farm shop offers local produce, plus traiteur (ready-cooked) dishes from the pub kitchen.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-15.00, Sun 12.00-21.00; mains £8.95 to £19.95; set L Sun £8.95 (1 course), £11.95 (2 courses), £13.95 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 19.00-22.00, Sun 12.00-21.00; mains £8.95 to £19.95
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Outside eating
- Rooms available