Find this good traditional restaurant in the relaxing & secluded Clare House Hotel - professionally run by the Read family for over 40 years.
On the food front, non-resident diners are made very welcome. They offer a five course seasonal, set-priced menu, with a choice at all but the soup stage.
A late summer snapshot brought 'Morecambe Bay Shrimp Risotto'; 'Twice-Baked Swiss Cheese Soufflé'; 'Confit Duck Leg on Creamy Butter Beans Flecked with Pancetta'' and 'Waldorf Salad - with celery, apple, walnuts & Roquefort dressing'.
Then comes a soup - 'Celeriac & Butterbean' on one menu.
Mains, such as 'Slow-Braised Shoulder of Lamb with Hasselbach Potato, Honey Roast Parsnips, Pea Purée and Apple & Mint Jelly'; 'Butter-Roast Hake with Mash, Puy Lentils with Herbs & Tomato and Wild Mushroom Reduction'; 'Slow-Cooked Gloucester Old Spot Pork with Herb Jus' and 'Penne with a Wild Mushroom Cream Sauce, Sautéed Wild Mushrooms & Parmesan Cheese' might follow.
'Apple & Blackberry Crumble with Toasted Nuts, Oats & Cinnamon'; 'Lemon Posset with Spiced Summer Berries & East Yorkshire Sugar Cakes' and 'Chocolate Truffle Cake with Seville Orange Marmalade Ice Cream & Orange Sauce' plus a selection of Cheeses and Petit Fours round off your meal.
- Food Style: British Traditional
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30; Mon-Sat light lunches, mains about £8 to £10; set L Sun £19.50 (2 courses), £24 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 18.45-19.30; £40 (5 courses)
- Seats: 36
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Grange-over-Sands Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: mid Dec to last week of March
- Rooms available