A good foodie pub as well as being a popular local - offers everything from breakfast to lunchtime and afternoon pizzas, plus a more ambitious à la carte menu based whenever possible on local produce.
An early summer menu listed 'Beef Carpaccio with Rocket & Shaved Parmesan'; 'Potted Dorset Crab with Watercress & Granary Toast'; 'Twice-Baked Cheddar Souffle, with Pear & Walnut Salad'; 'Moules Mariniere' and 'Courgette & Pea Risotto' among the starters (the latter two can also be taken as main courses).
Traditionally-Hung Rump Steak with Hand-Cut Chips, Onion Rings & Béarnaise Sauce'; 'Salmon Niçoise & Poached Free-Range Egg'; 'Kelmscott Ham Hock Hash with Hollandaise Sauce'; 'Sausage & Mash with Red Onion Gravy' and 'Roast Gurnard with Lemon & Dill Mash & Vine Cherry Tomatoes' listed among the mains.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by 'Apricot Bread & Butter Pudding with Custard'; 'Baked Peaches & Amaretti with Vanilla Ice Cream' or their selection of Artisan Cheeses.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 8.00-11.30, 12.00-18.30; mains about £13 to £20
- Dinner: all week 18.30-21.45; mains about £13 to £20
- Wine: a well-chosen list kicks off around the £15 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: Hanborough or Coombe Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: 25th Dec.
- Rooms available