Find this former railway tavern close to the River Rother, just south of Petworth and set in attractive gardens. You'll find a proper 'local' offering real ales, but for many, their good food is the main event - whether it's enjoyed in the bar or designated dining room.
Chef Matt Diaper offers an ambitious menu, covering all points from salads and various pasta dishes to summer-time lobsters from their seawater tank. He has carefully built up a network of local suppliers, fish figuring prominently - plus game in darker months.
An early summer version included 'Parma Ham with Roasted Red Peppers, Parmesan & Balsamic Dressing'; 'Stir Fried Squid in a Sweet Chili & Coriander Sauce'; 'Mussels with White Wine & Cream' and 'A Plate of Mixed Charcuterie' among the starters.
'Bubble & Squeak, Ham & Eggs'; 'Rib Eye Steak with Champ'; 'Poached Salmon Fillet with Stir-Fried Vegetables & Fresh Herbs' and 'Zarzuela' - a Northern Spanish Seafood Casserole' listed among the mains.
'Crème Brulée'; 'Sticky Toffee Pudding' and the like set the style for puds.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14300; mains from about £6 to £20
- Dinner: all week 19.00-21.00; mains from about £9 to £20
- Seats: 60
- Wine: a well-chosen list starting from £16.50
- Children's portions: Yes, smaller portions of most dishes are available
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Pulborough or Chichester (both approx 15 minutes)
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: Christmas Day
- Outside eating
- Rooms available