Find this popular former coaching inn in the centre of Winchcombe. It’s a combination of ‘local’ pub, restaurant with rooms and wine shop.
On the food front the kitchen offers everything from interesting Bar Snacks – such as ‘Yorkshire Puddings with Red Wine & Onion Gravy’; ‘Devilled Whitebait’; ‘Ham Hock & Piccalilli Terrine’ and ‘Prawn Cocktail’ to a full à la carte menu.
An autumn version of this included the above dishes, plus ‘Devilled Kidneys on Toast’ and ‘Soup of the Day with Crusty Bread’ amongst the starters.
‘Crispy Pork Belly with Mustard Mash & Cider Sauce’; ‘Beer-Battered Fish with Chips, Mushy Peas & Tartare Sauce’; ‘Vale & Hills Sausages with Mash & Onion Gravy’; ‘Butternut Squash & Chickpea Tagine & Couscous’ and ‘Confit Duck Leg with Gratin Dauphinoise & Red Wine Sauce’ listed among the mains.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by ‘Mango & Passion Fruit Cheesecake’; ‘Dark Chocolate Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream‘; Lemon Posset with Shortbread Biscuits’ or their selection of British Farmhouse Cheeses.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Sun-Thurs 8.00-21.30, Fri & Sat 8.00-22.00; mains about £11 to £23; set L Mon-Fri £14.95 (2 courses), £17.95 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Sun-Thurs 8.00-21.30, Fri & Sat 8.00-22.00; mains about £11 to £23
- Wine: Choose from their excellent Wine Shop. Then drink for £5 corkage per bottle.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Ashchurch or Cheltenham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Rooms available