Find this welcoming and well-kept foodie pub nestled between the former Great Western Railway and the Oxford Canal.
Expect low beams , bare wooden tables, stone floors and open fires in cooler months.
The menu suits both the serious diner and someone needing to eat on the fly.
Starters such as 'Homemade Mushroom Soup with Garlic Croûtons'; 'Game Terrine with Onion Relish, Salad, Toast & Cumberland Sauce'; 'Soignon Goats Cheese Salad with Pistachios & Balsamic Dressing'; 'Mussel & Prawn Hotpot with Lobster Sauce' and 'Vegetable Spring Rolls with Salad & Sweet Chili Sauce' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Steak & Ale Pie with Puff Pastry, Cips or Mash'; Beer-Battered Haddock Fillet with Chips, Salad & Homemade Tartare Sauce'; 'Seabass Fillet on Creamed Leeks with Prawns, Mashed Potato & Smoked Salmon' and 'Grilled Sirloin Steak with Peppercorn Sauce' amongst the list of mains.
Interesting daily specials include game dishes during darker months.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30; mains about £9 to £18
- Dinner: all week 18.00-21.00; mains about £9 to £18
- Wine: a concise, but well-chosen, lost has modest mark ups
- Children's portions: Yes when possible, plus Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: 25th Dec.
- Outside eating
- Rooms available