Find this excellent neighbourhood restaurant in a smart backwater of London between Kensington High Street and Gloucester Road. Indeed the atmosphere evoked is that of a provincial restaurant, and this illusion has been continued by chef Tristan Welch's menus - which offer 'romantic' modern snaps of traditional British dishes.
A summer version brought 'West Coast Scallops with Aromatic Herbs & Wild Flowers'; 'Shoulder of Pork, Isle of Wight Tomatoes and Berkswell Cheese' and 'Poached Goose Egg with Truffle Risotto' among the starters.
'Best End of Neck of Salt-marsh Lamb with Samphire & Red Chard'; 'Launceston Place Fresh Water Fish Pie'; 'Rose Veal, Sweetbreads, Wild Marjoram & Pickled Mushrooms' and 'Tamworth Suckling Pig with Radishes and Honey Emulsion' listed among the mains.
Perhaps finish with 'Rice Pudding Soufflé with Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream'; 'Strawberry Shortbread with Lemon Curd & Basil Sorbet'; 'Cranachan' or their selection of Artisan Cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Weds-Fri 12.00-14.30, Sat 12.00-15.00, Sun 12.00-15.30; set L £30; set L Sun £35
- Dinner: Tues-Fri 18.00-22.30, Sat 18.30-22.30, Sun 18.30-21.30; set D £55 ((3 courses); Tasting Menu £70
- Seats: 50
- Wine: an impressive list travels the world, kicking off in the mid £20's, and includes some prestigious bottles
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: High Street Kensington or Gloucester Road Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: all Mon, L Tues, check Christmas openings