The quality of the food has long been a certainty at this long-standing restaurant in Primrose Hill; and the current chef Bryn Williams (who some might remember from TV's 'Great British Menu', is now a partner).
Expect a comfortable and intimate dining room with opulent drapes and rather bright yellow chairs, which look better when occupied, with an airy conservatory to the rear.
The kitchens menus follow the seasons with an early summer listing 'Pig's Head & Black Pudding Terrine with Sauce Gribiche, Watercress & Toasted Sourdough'; 'Peppered Wood Pigeon, Sweetcorn Pannacotta, Bayonne Ham & Trompette Mushrooms'; 'Quail Egg with English Asparagus and Potato & Cress Salad' and 'Soused Sardines with Crab Salad & Grapefruit' among the starters.
'Pan-Fried Turbot with Braised Ox Tail, Cockles & Samphire'; 'Crispy Polenta, English Asparagus & Apple-Asparagus Dressing'; 'Roasted Loin of Welsh Lamb with Braised Shoulder, Pea Purée & Ragoût of Peas' and 'Roasted Breast of Chicken with Mashed Potatoes, Artichokes, Young Vegetables & Truffle Dressing' listed among the mains.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by 'Strawberry Cheesecake, Ginger Breadcrumbs & Fresh Strawberries'; 'Chocolate Fondant with Pistachio & Tarragon Ice Cream' and 'Cardomom Crème Brulée with Poached Rhubarb & Rhubarb Sorbet' or their selection of cheese.
For a quick snack, there's also a short Bar Menu offering the likes of 'Scottish Smoked Salmon with Toast' and 'Battered Fish with Tartare Sauce'.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.30 (Sat 15.00, Sun 22.00); set L £13 (2 courses) to £20; mains £16 to 22; set L Sun from £25 (2 courses)
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.00; set D £22 (2 courses) to £25; Tasting Menu £58 (6 courses); mains about £16 to £22
- Seats: 46, plus 20 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Chalk Farm Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: a few days Christmas
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating