Find this good neighbourhood restaurant on the first floor of this converted shop -above the kitchen.
Chef/co-proprietor Philip Leach has worked in some prestigious kitchens, and uses his knowledge to create short seasonally-changing menus from mainly local produce.
Food is simply handled, allowing the flavour of top-quality ingredients to shine through. A late summer menu listed 'Grilled Fillet of Mackerel, Warm Potato Salad & Horseradish Dressing'; 'Duck Ravioli, Balsamic & Orange Reduction' and 'Pan-Fried Fish Cake, Parsley & Lemon Mayonnaise' among the starters.
'Baked Free-Range Chicken Breast Filled with Bacon & Mushroom, Gratin Potato & Truffle Velouté'; 'Pan-Fried Sirloin Steak with Roast Root Vegetables & Red Wine Sauce' and 'Roast Belly Pork, Creamed Potatoes, Caramelised Apples & Cider Sauce' listed among the mains. There is also always a fish dish of the day.
Perhaps finish with the likes of 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce & Vanilla Ice Cream'; 'Chocolate Marquise with White Chocolate Sorbet' or 'Vanilla Crème Brulée'.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Thurs-Sun 12.00-14.00; set L £15 (2 courses), £20 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Thurs-Sun 18.30-21.00; set L £30 (3 courses)
- Seats: 18
- Wine: a concise, but well-chosen list licks off at £12.95
- Wheelchair access: No, dining room on the 1st floor
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: all Mon-Weds, 25th Dec to 22nd Jan.