What was until recently a run down local in an up and coming area, now with its own railway station (Imperial Wharf), is now a deservedly-popular gastro pub - describing itself as offering 'Great British food with an Irish heart'!
Expect bare boards and wooden tables, each with its little oil lamp - and more the feel of a country, rather than city gastro pub. All is still a little too new, and the atmosphere and general feel should improve as the decorations and furnishings gather a little age.
On the food front, much is homemade, including Breads, Pork Scratchings and their excellent Scotch Eggs
The full menu is both printed and written on blackboards, a summer snapshot brought 'Tian of Crab with Brown Shrimp Mousseline & Avocado Salsa'; '½ dozen Herefordshire Snails with Garlic Butter'; '½ dozen Colchester Rock Oysters' and 'Pan-Fried Bath Chaps with Rocket Salad & Rémoulade' among the starters.
'Roast Summer Vegetables & Red Onion Tatin'; 'Rosemary & Anchovy-Crusted Pigeon Breast with Roasted Radicchio, Baby Gem & Sweetcorn Dropcake'; 'Fillet of Rainbow Trout with Fennel, Girolles & Lemon Butter Sauce' and 'Walter Rose Ribeye Steak with Stilton Rarebit (sic) Mushroom, Caramelised Shallots & Hand-Cut Chips' listed among the mains.
An interesting and equally-seasonal list of desserts might include 'Tiramisu with Raspberry'; 'Carpaccio of Pineapple with Passion Fruit Ice Cream' and 'Apple Tatin with Ginger Chantilly'. While those with a more savoury tooth should enjoy their selection of English & Irish Artisan Cheeses.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-15.00 (16.00 Sat & Sun); mains £14 to £20; set L £13.50 (2 courses)
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.00 (21.30 Sun); mains £14 to £20
- Seats: 60, plus 12 outside
- Wine: an interesting list travels the world, kicking off at around the £16 mark,with plenty of quality on offer below the £30 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Imperial Wharf
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating