One of the big changes to the London culinary scene during 2009 was the arrival of Hélène Darroze to head the Connaught's flagship restaurant - so returning the kitchen's influence to that of French classical cuisine. The dining room retains its comfortable traditions in other forms.
Hélène emanates from the Landes region of South West France and has been given a free reign to exploit the best produce from here.
Expect the likes of 'Duck Foie Gras from Les Landes cooked au torchon, with wild rhubarb chutney, Gariguette Strawberries & Beetroot Jus'; 'Scottish Scallop, Roasted with Tandoori Spices, Mousseline of Carrot & Confit Citrus, a Spring Onion Reduction with fresh Coriander'; 'Confit Belly of Tuna with Aromatic Herbs & Citrus, Marinated Peaches & Green Beans with Fresh Almonds & Coriander' and 'Baby Squid with Chorizo, Confit Tomatoes & Carnaroli Rice' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Breast of Pigeon from Racan, Spit-Roasted and Flambé au Capucin, Green Pea Mousseline Lightly-Flavoured with Peppermint'; 'De-Boned Saddle of Welsh Lamb, Cooked with a Crust of Pimientos Del Piquillo, Cocos from Pigna, Taggiasche Olive Condiment & Roasting Jus' and 'Roast Sea Bass, with White Asparagus, Cockle Jus with Seaweed Butter & Cranberries' listed among the mains.
Desserts are equally ambitious, with perhaps '100% Chocolate' - Venezuelan Carupano Dark Chocolate Cream, Bitter Chocolate Sorbet & Hot Chocolate Sauce'; 'Strawberries des Bois with Bay Leaf Pannacotta, Lemon Jelly & Strawberry Sorbet'; 'Apricot Compote with Meringue with Caramel Mousse & Sichuan Peppercorn Ice Cream' and 'Seasonal Fruit & Berries set in Jelly with Coconut Ice Cream, Marshmallow & Crispy Blackcurrant Cannelloni' there to tempt you.
Everything is of a very high standard, including breads and their excellent French Cheeses.
A Saturday Brunch Menu offers everything from Croissants and Pastries through various ways with Scrambled Eggs to Caesar Salad and Burgers.
- Food Style: French
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-14.30 (Sat Brunch 11.00-14.30); set L £30 (2 courses), £38 (3 courses), £45 (4 courses)
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.30-22.30; set D £80 (3 courses); Tasting Menu £92 (5 courses) to £155 (9 courses)
- Seats: 60
- Wine: unfortunately an impressive wine list is accompanied by sky-high pricing - £60 for a Beaujalais is just not on!
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible (including Saturday Brunch)
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Bond Street or Green Park Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: all Sun & Mon, Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Rooms available