Find this deservedly-popular restaurant in the Best Western Mostyn Hotel, but with its own entrance in Portman Street. The project, launched in 2007, brought together Xavier Rousset (a previous winner of sommelier of the year) with Agnar Sverrisson (a former head chef at Le Manoir Quat' Saisons, where they met), into their own dedicated venture. There's also a Champagne Bar to tempt you while you peruse the menu.
While not necessarily chasing Michelin stars, the food and wine on offer is serious - mixing some Icelandic ingredients with modern cookery trends.
A summer menu snapshot brought 'Cornish Crab with Gazpacho, Lemongrass Jelly & Baby Artichoke'; 'Icelandic Langoustines with Coco Beans, Barley & Herbs' and 'Chargrilled Anjou Pigeon with Sweetcorn, Shallot, Bacon Popcorn & Red Wine Essence' among the starters.
'Char-grilled Beef Ribeye with Oxcheek, Horseradish & Olive Oil Béarnaise Sauce'; 'Icelandic Line-Caught Cod with Chorizo, Avocado, Squid & Artichokes'; 'Lamb Shoulder with Herb Purée, Swede & Lamb Jus' and 'Lancashire Suckling Pig with Spring Roll, Plum & Soy Beans' listed among the mains.
Desserts are modern in style, with perhaps 'Blueberry & Almond Cake with Rye Bread & Ice Cream'; 'Valrhona Chocolate with Anise, Coffee & Milk Ice Cream' and 'Icelandic Yoghurt Ice with Poached Rhubarb' there to tempt you.
Their cheese selection is unusual in that it might offer three varieties made from similar milk.
It goes without saying that much thought has gone into the composition of the mainly French wine list.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-14.30; set L £21.90 (2 courses), £24.90 (3 courses); L Tasting Menu £79 (whole table only) mains about £32 to £38
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.30-23.00; set D £29.50; mains about £32 to £38; Tasting Menu £79 (7 courses)
- Seats: 52
- Wine: a well-chosen list, based in France, has firm mark-ups (think well into the £30's for anything of real interest), but a good selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Marble Arch Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: all Sun & Mon, 2 weeks Aug, 2 week Christmas
- Air conditioned
- Rooms available