If you're a vegetarian, or have to dine with one, and don't want to miss meat too much - this London rarity - an Italian, organic vegetarian restaurant - is worth seeking out.
It's run by the Amico family, who also have a farm in Capua, Italy, with Pasquale directing operations from the stoves.
Their dishes follow the seasons, but a winter snapshot brought the likes of 'Insalata di Cavolo Rape, Arance, Finocchi e Ravanelli' (salad of kohlrabi, oranges, fennel & red radish); 'Fritattina di Spaghetti, Rucola e Finocchi' (spaghetti omelette with rocket & fennel salad) and 'Mozzarella do Bufala con Zucca Marinata' (buffalo mozzarella with marinated pumpkin squash) amongst the starters.
'Peperoncini Verdi con Foraccia' (pan-fried Italian sweet green peppers on toasted focaccia); 'Fagioli Borlotti con Zucca e Cavolo Rapo Arrosto' (borlotti bean ragout with roasted pumpkin & kohlrabi) and 'Cuoppolo di Verdure Fritte' (tempura of seasonal vegetables with sweet & sour sauce) listed on their short selection of mains.
Half a dozen interesting pasta and risotto dishes - such as 'Pennette Integrali Broccoli e Tofu' (wholemeal pennette pasta with broccoli & tofu) - are also offered.
Puds are tempting for those with a sweet-tooth - with maybe 'Rum Baba with Amarene Cherries' & 'Homemade Cantucci Biscuit with Passito Wine' there to tempt you. Whilst they also offer a selection of Italian vegetarian cheeses - offered with raisin bread, grapes & plum chutney.
Booking essential near the weekend, and the restaurant's general popularity can mean that the service is stretched.
- Food Style: Vegetarian
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-22.30, mains around £7 to £9; set L £12
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 12.00-22.30, Sat 17.00-22.30; mains around £10; set D £18
- Seats: 48
- Wine: the short Italian wine list follows the pattern - organic & vegetarian - kicking off at about £16
- Children's portions: When Possible
- Nearest station: Barbican Rail or Farringdon Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: Sun & Bank Holidays, 25 & 26 Dec, 1 week August