Jamie Oliver's pioneering Fifteen restaurant is now in its 12th year, and this praiseworthy method of training young chefs has been joined by a branch in Cornwall, plus two further afield in Amsterdam and Melbourne.
A trattoria offering lighter meals and grills occupies the ground floor, while a more serious restaurant is in the basement - but the emphasis is still on Italian-style simplicity rather than saucing.
An early summer snapshot brought 'Carpaccio of Wild Scottish Salmon, Cured in Beetroot, with a Pickled Summer Vegetable Salad, Smoked Eel Aioli & Freshly-Grated Horseradish'; 'Prosciutto di San Daniele with Char-Grilled Asparagus, Wild Rocket, Shaved Parmesan & Petrolo Olive Oil' and 'Insalata D'Agnello - Warm Salad of Lambs Sweetbreads with Braised Cipollini Onions, Peas, Pancetta & Pea Shoots' among the starters.
There are a few Pasta & Risotto Dishes, which can be taken as starters or mains.
For serious mains, you might find 'Char-Grilled English Asparagus with a Poached Egg & Dried Porcini Macaroni Cheese'; 'Sicilian-style Fisherman's Stew of Cod, Salmon, Langoustine, Squid, Mussels, Clams, Fregola Sarda & Bruschetta with Lemon Aioli' and 'Char-Grilled Leg of Elwy Valley Lamb with Chick Pea Inzimo, Red Chard & Taggiasca Black Olive Sauce' listed among the mains.
Perhaps finish with 'Baked Amedei Chocolate Mousse, Crème Fraiche & Raspberries Macerated in Black Raspberry Liqueur'; 'Tiramisu Semifreddo' and 'Rum Baba with Peppered Pineapple, Mascarpone & Limoncello Syrup'.
Service is both efficient and friendly.
- Food Style: Italian
- Lunch: all week 12.00-15.00; set L £19 (2 courses), £24 (3 courses); mains about £17 to £32 Trattoria mains £14 to £21
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.00; set D £60 (5 courses); Restaurant mains about £17 to £32. Trattoria mains £14 to £21
- Seats: 110
- Wine: a well-chosen list has over 200 bins - so something for everyone - kicks off in the low at £20's
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Old Street Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec.
- Air conditioned