Aiming at 'New, Fresh & Original Flavours', this fusion café/restaurant, headed by much-travelled chef/proprietor Anna Hansen does just that.
There's a ground floor café, offering light all-day meals, ranging from pastries, breakfast cereals, top-quality juices and smoothies and cooked meals; plus an upstairs restaurant for serious food.
Here, the list of ingredients might dazzle and confuse all but the expert - but the dishes work, and the kitchen has a loyal following. A summer menu included 'Kombu & Shitake Broth, with Tofu, Noodles, Enoki & Spring Onions'; 'Spiced Red-Wine-Poached Salsify, Roast Red Onion, Lentil & Endive Salad & Toasted Hazelnuts'; 'Pan-Fried Squid with Sweetcorn & Harusame Noodles, Squid Ink & Crustacea Dressing, Pickled Green Papaya, Jicama & Spring Onions' and 'Smoked Barbary Duck Breast, Vanilla Coco Beans, Valrhona Chocolate Jus & Broad Bean Flowers' among the starters.
'Cavolo Nero, Hijiki & Manouri and Quinoa & Liquorice Dumplings, Sweet Potato & Amaranth Samosa, Pickled Golden Beetroot & Spiced Brown Butter'; 'Lemongrass Duck Leg Curry, Bok Choi, Fragrant Thai Rice, Coriander & Mint Salad'; 'Pan-Fried Wild Sea Trout, Dried Shrimp Sambal, Spiced Shallots, Fennel & Spinach, Coconut Dressing & Lotus Root Crisps' and 'Roast Rack of Lamb, Potato Mash, Samphire & Girolles, Smoked Anchovy, Lemon & Chervil' listed among the mains.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by 'Sticky Black Coconut Rice, Caramel, Fresh Pineapple & Ginger Jelly'; 'Warm Banana Cake, Malt Ice Cream, Brown Butter & Fig Compote' or their various interesting Ice Creams. A small selection of Artisan Cheeses is also offered.
- Food Style: Fusion
- Lunch: Café all week 8.00-23.00 (Sat from 9.00, Sun 10.00-22.00) Weekend Brunch Special £19.50; Restaurant Tues-Fri & Sun 12.00-15.00; mains £15 to £22; set L from £22 (2 courses); set L Sun £22 (2 courses)
- Dinner: Café all week 8.00-23.00 (Sat from 9.00, Sun 10.00-22.00); Tues-Sat 18.00-22.30; mains about £15 to £22
- Seats: 100, plus about 30 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list travelling the world, kicks off in the low £20's
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, to ground floor
- Nearest station: Farringdon Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: D Sun, all Sun & Mon, 25th Dec, most Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating