Winner of our Best Budget Restaurant Award for 2011
Belonging to an expanding chain of fast food outlets offering take-away or eat-in options. All their food has been carefully-sourced, and follows the seasons; meat & poultry coming from sources with RSPCA approval; much is organic - some even suitable for those on a gluten-free diet.
To enjoy an in-house visit here, the quality of the food must out-way any preconceived ideas of comfort - expect clean café basics - but we feel their hearts are in the right place!
Queueing up and ordering at the counter is the form, whether eating in or taking away, is the form - and perhaps eating out of a cardboard box with plastic cutlery (although traditions return in the evening) - might not suit all.
The menu ranges from Fresh Soups, Filled Baps and their own Baked Beans through Wraps and Salads to hot dishes such as 'Grilled Chicken with Garlic & Yoghurt Sauce'; 'Moroccan Meatballs' and 'Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Curry'.
A few simple desserts include 'Chocolate Brownies' (made with Valrhona chocolate and almonds), 'Pecan Pie' and various Cookies'.
During the evening the menu expands a little and they put out candles and the atmosphere is transformed.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Weds 7.00-22.00, Thurs & Fri 7.00-23.00, Sat 9.00-22.00, Sun 11.00-19.00; mains about £5 to £8
- Dinner: Mon-Weds 7.00-22.00, Thurs & Fri 7.00-23.00, Sat 9.00-22.00, Sun 11.00-19.00; mains about £5 to £8
- Wine: a short list has modest mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Charing Cross Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: some Bank Holidays