An excellent eaterie, inspired by the wine bars of Spain and Italy - and run by enthusiasts. The package includes a Wine Shop.
Tables are in high demand, so expect to wait at peak periods. However, if you have the time this is worthwhile as their seasonally-changing menu gives most bistro-style restaurants let alone wine bars, a lesson.
An early autumn snapshot brought 'Scottish Girolles on Toast with Tarragon & Truffle Oil'; 'Potted Middle White Pork with quince & Ginger Relish'; 'Steamed Mussels & Clams with White Wine, Parsley & Garlic' and 'Selection of Spanish Cured Meats with Almonds & Olives' among the mains.
'Whole Grilled Dorset Plaice with Tomatoes, Courgettes & Anchovy Dressing'; 'Salad of Guinea Fowl with Lentils & Caperberries'; 'Lamb Rump with Salsify, Purple Sprouting Broccoli & Creamed Feta' and 'Char-Grilled Bavette Steak with Chili Butter, Chips & Salad' listed among the mains.
Desserts are also seasonal, but 'Plum Tart Fine with Crème Fraiche Ice Cream'; 'Lemon Posset with Blueberries & Shortbread' and Almond Cake with Poached Greengages & Mascarpone' set the style.
Friendly and efficient service, once seated.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.45 Sun 11.00-16.00); mains about £12 to £18 - plus Bar Snacks; set L £12.95 (2 courses), £15.95 (3 courses); Sun Roast £20 (2 courses), £25 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.00; mains about £12 to £18
- Seats: 38, plus 8 outside
- Wine: an impressive list, put together by enthusiasts, travels the world - kicking off at around the £20 mark. An excellent selection by the glass.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Barbican or Farringdon Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 25th Dec to 2nd Jan.
- Outside eating