Find this newly revamped gastro pub a stones throw from Clapham South Tube Station. It's part of a small group (Renaissance) who have a handful of other South London hostelries. Expect real ales and a real haven of a pub-style garden - but the whole has been described as more of a jug of Pimm's than a lager and packet of crisps place. A good Bar Menu offers the likes of Hummus with Pitta Bread, ½ Pint of Prawns with Lemon Mayonnaise, Oysters and Fish & Chips.
For more serious eating, an early summer starters such as 'Steamed Clams with Pancetta with Sweetcorn & Cider Cream'; 'Grilled English Asparagus'; 'Borscht Soup with Horseradish Cream'; 'Potted Duck & Foie Gras with Piccalilli & Sourdough Toast' and 'Wild Mushroom & Taleggio Arancini with Cherry Tomatoes & Mint' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Roast Cod with Homemade Artichoke Raviolo, Tomato, Capers & Oregano'; 'Braised Mutton Curry with Cinnamon Roast Garlic, Coconut & Rice'; 'Hamburger & Fries'; 'Aubergine & Spinach Tortelloni with Roast Pepper Sauce & Rocket'; 'Roast Pork Fillet, Dry Cured Ham, Parsnip Purée & Caramelised Quince' or one of their grilled Steaks.
There are also puds such as 'Chocolate & Pecan Brownie with Milk Ice Cream'; 'Bakewell Tart with Honeyed Mascarpone Cream' and 'Lemon Posset with Langue du Chat & Strawberries' there to tempt you.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-15.30, Sat 12.00-16.00, Sun 12.00-13.00; mains about £9 to £14 – plus Flat Bread Sandwiches; set L Mon-Fri 12.00-15.50
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.00-22.30, Sat 18.00-22.30, Sun 15.00-21.00; mains about £12 to £25
- Wine: a well-chosen list has modest mark-ups and offers a good selection by the glass
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Clapham South Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Outside eating