A good neighbourhood restaurant, specialising in carefully-sourced British food.
Starters such as 'Wild Scottish Girolles, Poached Hens Egg & Spelt Toast'; 'Clams with Parsley & Tomato Broth'; 'Soused Mackerel with Balsamic Roasted Beetroot & Horseradish' and 'Potted Saddleback Pork with Crispy Cheeks, Pickles & Toast' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Whole Dover Sole with Mash, Curly Kale & Butter Sauce'; 'Herdwick Mutton, Wether & Lamb'; 'Saddleback Pork Belly with Creamed Butter Beans, Braised Greens & Crispy Bacon' and 'Hay-Roasted Celeriac with Duck's Egg & Balsamic Sauce'.
Fish from the local boats & seasonal game figure prominently.
Good desserts might include 'Lemon Tart with Marmalade Ice Cream'; 'Plum Bakewell with Crème Fraiche' and 'Caramelised Heritage Apple Millefeuille'.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.30-14.30, Sun 12.00-17.00; set L Tues-Sat from £17 (2 courses); mains about £14 to £17
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.00-22.00, set D mid-week from £17 (2 courses) mains about £14 to £17
- Seats: 50, plus about 8 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list, travels the world, starting at around £20, and includes some English bottles plus a good selection by the glass
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Balham Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: All Mon, D Sun, 25th & 26th Dec, 1st Jan.
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating