This converted pub, tucked away just north of the tube station is now a serious but busting restaurant - a magnet for several miles around and serious to the point of making their own butter!
A late summer menu listed 'Hot Pumpkin Soup with a Poached Duck Egg & Buttered Chanterelles'; 'Braised Rabbit Cannelloni with Crayfish & Tarragon'; 'Pigs Trotter on Toasted Sourdough, Fried Quail Eggs, Sauce Gribiche & Crackling' and 'Cornish Crab Salad with Avocado Mousseline, Pomegranate & Deep-Fried Oyster' among the starters. 'Whole Baked Monkfish Tail with Seared Squid with Tomatoes, Red Onion, Squid Rings & Olive Oil Mash'; 'Slow-Cooked Rump of Rose Veal with Roast White Onion, Pumpkin Purée & Macaroni Cheese' and 'Tagliatelle of Girolles & Roscoff Onions with Parmesan & Pea Shoots' listed among the mains.
Desserts maintain the same high standard, with perhaps 'Custard Tart with Nutmeg Ice Cream'; 'Pancake Soufflé with Cobnuts & Caramel and Vanilla Ice Cream' and 'Passion Fruit Pavlova' there to tempt you. Service is efficient, professional and friendly.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.30-14.30 (Sun 16.00); set L £15 (2 courses), £20 (3 courses); mains about £25 to £32
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.30-22.00 (Fri & Sat 23.00); set D £15 (2 courses), £20 (3 courses); Tasting Menu £38 (5 courses); mains about £25 to £32
- Seats: 62
- Wine: a well-chosen list kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Clapham Common Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec, 1st & 2nd Jan.
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating