Find this good gastro-pub on the corner of Black Lion Lane and St. Peters Villas. It's under the same ownership as the popular Pig's Ear in Chelsea and both have high culinary standards. You'll find Adnam's excellent beer, while the kitchen bases its menus on traditional British produce - sometimes with Continental twists. Helpings are generous.
Starters such as ' Lovage, Leek & Potato Soup'; 'Half a Dozen Irish Rock Oysters with Shallot Relish'; 'Sauté of Lambs Brains, Baby Turnips, Nettles & Pickled Grapes' and 'Ham Hock & Parsley Terrine with Bread & Butter Pickles' set the style of a summer menu.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Chump of Lamb with Smoked Aubergine & Green Tapenade'; 'Roast Halibut with Braised Bacon, Peas, Lettuce & Lemon Thyme'; 'Fish Stew, Mussels, White Beans, Peas Shoots, Pine Nuts & Parmesan' and 'Braised Oxtail' listed among the mains.
If you're into puds 'Rhubarb & Goats Cheese Tart'; 'Chocolate St. Emilion with Poppy Seed & Pistachio Chantilly & Irish Coffee Granita' and 'Banana Sponge Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream & Warm Valrhona Sauce' might be there to tempt you. Those with a more savoury tooth should enjoy their selection of Artisan Cheeses.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.30, Sat 12.30-15.30, Sun 12.30-17.00; mains about £13 to £21
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.30-22.00, Sat 19.00-22.00, Sun 19.00-21.00; mains about £32 to £21
- Seats: 40 seats, plus 34 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list kicks off at around the £19 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Stamford Brook or Ravenscourt Park Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page.
- Outside eating