An excellent French bistro-style restaurant, under the same ownership as Le Vacherin in Chiswick. The kitchen specialises in dishes from the South West, and if you eat at the right time, you can eat very well at bargain prices (see below).
Starters such as 'Fish Soup with Rouille, Gruyère & Croûtons'; 'Octoupus Carpaccio with Fennel, Orange & Caper Salad'; 'Seared Foir Gras with Onion Chutney & Pickled Girolles' and 'Escargots de Bourgogne' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Cassoulet with Duck & Pork'; 'Bouillabaisse à L'Anglaise'; 'Slow-Cooked Shoulder of Lamb, Chantonnay Carrots & Haricot Blanc' and 'Monkfish with Stuffed Cabbage & Alsace Bacon & Lobster Sauce' listed among the mains.
Desserts are twists on tradition, with maybe 'Crème Brulée'; 'Cherry & Almond Tart with Pistachio Ice Cream' and 'Bread & Butter Pudding with Agen Prunes, Raisins & Vanilla Ice Cream' there to tempt you.
- Food Style: French
- Lunch: all week 12.00-15.00; Mon-Sat £16.50 (3 courses), Sun £19.50 (3 courses); Mon-Fri between 12.00-15.00 Steak Frites & glass of wine £10
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.00 (Fri & Sat 23.00); Sun-Thurs between 18.00-20.00 £19.50 (3 courses), Sun-Thurs between 18.00-20.00 Steak Frites & glass of wine £10
- Seats: 60
- Wine: an all French list, kicks off at £15.50
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: South Croydon Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page.
- Air conditioned