This pub/restaurant with rooms - which for years has offered good food - has gone up a gear since its takeover by the celebrity chef Paul Merritt.
While you can still enjoy a pint of real ale in the bar, the raison d'être for a visit by many is the quality of food on offer. A Bar Menu list items ranging from Bowls of Chips (thrice cooked), through freshly-cut Sandwiches to Burgers, Sausages & Mash & the like.
The à la carte menu, for more serious diners is served in the conservatory dining room, and listed starters such as 'Cornish Mussel Broth with Curry Spices & Flat-Leafed Parsley with Grilled Sour Dough'; 'Salad of Roasted Squash with Chickpeas & Sweet Pickled Cauliflower, Tahina Dressing & Beetroot Tapenade' and 'Warm Salad of Catalunyan Morcilla Sausage, with Green Beans, Flat Mushroom & Caramelised Apple' on a summer menu.
Dishes such as 'Pan-Fried Sea Bass on Sag Aloo, with Onion Bhajee & Tomato Chili Jam'; 'Char-Grilled Gloucester Old Spot Pork Chop on Creamed Savoy Cabbage with Celeriac & Grain Mustard'; 'Goats' Cheese Puff Pastry Pithivier with Black Olive & Basil on Grilled Courgette & Aubergine Confit' and '21-Day-Aged South Devon 7oz Rib Eye Steak, with Thrice-Cooked Chips, Béarnaise Sauce & Mixed Leaves' listed among the mains.
Desserts are again seasonal - but 'Baked Egg Custard with Blackberry Compote & Green Apple Sorbet'; 'Thyme Blossom Honey & Ginger Semi-Freddo with Roasted Figs & Pine Nuts' ; 'Warm Chocolate Pudding with Chantilly Cream' set the style. While those with a more savoury tooth should enjoy their selection of Artisan Cheeses with Pinot Noir Jelly.
Their pleasant garden has an outdoor kitchen which comes into its own during the BBQ season.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30 (Sat 15.00, Sun12.00-20.00); mains about £15 to £22
- Dinner: all week Mon-Sat 18.00-22.00, Sun 12.00-20.00; mains about £15 to £22
- Seats: 100, plusabout 50 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list travels the world, kicking off at around the £18 mark, and offers a good choice by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible - plus Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Richmond Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available