« back to restaurants search results
Pearl of the OrientFirst Floor, Mermaid Quay, Stuart Street, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, Cardiff/Caerdydd, CF10 5BZ
A popular and comfortable restaurant belonging to a small group; offering dishes in the style of Canton, Peking, Szechuan & Malaysian although the former predominates.
The open plan dining room includes conservatory sections, plus a wall devoted to a fish tank - so the whole is more impressive than an outside viewing might indicate.
On the food front the menu is extensive - the seafood section alone including abalone, crab, Dover sole, lobster, mussels, octopus, prawns and scallops; all done in various ways.
As well as Noodles and the familiar 'standards', main courses such as 'Pan-Fried Dover Sole in Soy Sauce'; 'Malaysian-style Chicken Curry'; 'Sautéed Sliced Lamb Szechuan-style with Green Chilis'; 'Roasted Crisp Belly Hong-Kong Style' and 'Shallow-Fried Stuffed Bean Curd with Green Peppers & Aubergine' set the style.
Whereas whole suckling pig, cooked in a Hong Kong-style, but needing pre-ordering, is also listed.
While the evening generally brings a live pianist.
Prices are firm, and we have heard that final bills should be double-checking for accuracy. If the impressiveness of your surroundings aren't of paramount importance, the nearby Bay Restaurant is a viable alternative.
More Reports Please.
- Food Style: Chinese
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00, Sat 12.00-23.00, Sun 12.00-22.30; mains £7 to £45
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 17.00-23.00, Sat 12.00-23.00, Sun 12.00-22.30; mains £7 to £45; set D from £18 to £34
- Wine: an impressive list, includes many bottles that would be wasted with spicy food
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Enquire, dining room on first floor
- Nearest station: Cardiff Bay Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: Check Bank Holiday & Christmas openings
- Air conditioned