An excellent foodie pub, worth seeking out, even if a detour is needed.
Lunchtime brings everything from top-class sandwiches, plus lighter dishes such as 'Mushrooms on Toast' and 'Crispy Pork Belly & Belly Pudding with Apple Sauce' to à la carte dishes.
These, and those served in the evening might include 'Corned Beef Hash - with crisp pancetta, homemade tomato ketchup & poached egg'; 'King Scallops, Sweetcorn Purée, Popcorn & Confit Chicken Wings' and 'Twice-Baked Bosworth Ash Soufflé with Beetroot & Pine Nut Salad' amongst the starters.
Perhaps 'Beer-Battered Haddock with Beef Dripping Chips, Mushy Peas & Tartare Sauce'; 'Steak, Mushroom & Stilton Pie'; 'Butternut Squash & Parmesan Risotto with Toasted Walnuts & Sage Butter'; 'Cannon of Lamb, with Confit Lamb Breast, Spiced Aubergine, Sweet Potato and Tomato & Black Olive Jus' and 'Sirloin of Beef, with Braised Shin, Caramelised Onion Purée, Roast Carrot, Spinach & Fondant Potato' listed in the mains.
Puds aren't forgotten, with perhaps 'Chocolate & Salted Pistachio Caramel Tart with Chocolate Mousse' and 'Sticky Toffee Pudding & Pecan Pudding with Butterscotch Ice Cream' there to tempt you.
While a selection of local artisan cheeses are also on offer.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-14.30, Sun 12.00-17.30; mains from about £14 to £21; set L from £17 (2 courses); plus sandwiches and lighter dishes
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.00-21.00; mains about £14 to £21
- Seats: 24, plus about 20 outside
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Prestbury Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Mon, D Sun, check Christmas openings