A good, newly refurbished, gastro-pub in a competitive area - expect low beams and sold wood floors, plus open winter flowers. The system is to order & pay at the bar.
The kitchen offers a menu mixing the traditional with the more modern. So starters such as 'Braised Faggots with Celeriac Mash with Shallot & Cider Jus' and 'Kedgeree with a Poached Egg' rub shoulders with 'Duck Liver Parfait & Red Onion Marmalade' and 'Twice-Baked Crab Soufflé, with Pink Grapefruit & Samphire Salad'.
Likewise, main courses might list 'Fish Pie - with Smoked Haddock, Salmon & Prawns'; 'Lamb's Liver with Bubble & Squeak Mash and Onion Gravy'; 'Honey-Glazed Gammon with Pineapple, Fried Egg & Hand-Cut Chips'; 'Shoulder of Lamb with Braised Lentils & Honey Roast Vegetables' and 'Steamed Fillet of Sea Bass with Samphire, Mussels & King Prawn Linguine'.
Desserts such as 'Steamed Syrup Sponge with Custard'; 'Chocolate Brownie with Praline Mousse & Chocolate Sauce' and 'Belgian Waffle with Butterscotch Sauce & Chocolate Ice Cream' are also there to tempt you.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-21.30; mains about £12 to £24
- Dinner: all week 12.00-21.0 (Sun 21.00); mains about £12 to £24
- Seats: 100, plus 110 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list travels the world, kicking off at around the £17 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Delamere Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D 25th Dec.
- Outside eating