A good neighbourhood restaurant, specialising in traditional British seasonal food.
Chef/proprietor spent some time as head chef at St John's Bread & Wine (q.v.) - so knows his stuff when it comes to sourcing food.
An early autumn snapshot brought 'Half a dozen Rock Oysters'; 'Potted Crab'; 'Sweetbreads, Green Beans & Mint' and 'Crispy Pork with Dandelion & Mustard' among the starters.
'Lemon Sole with Cucumber & Kohlrabi Salad'; 'Squash & Goats' Cheese Pie'; 'Calf's Kidney with Lentils & Roast Shallots'; 'Red Leg Partridge with Savoy Cabbage with Chestnuts & Bacon' and 'Onglet Steak with Chips & Aioli' listed among the mains.
Puds follow the seasons like the rest of the menu so 'Apple Crumble & Custard'; 'Quince Jelly with Clotted Cream'; 'Caramel Ice Cream' might follow - while their selection of British Artisan Cheeses should tempt serious cheese lovers.
Service is professional, friendly and enthusiastic.
- Food Style: British Traditional
- Lunch: all week 12.00-15.00 (Sun 16.00); mains £10 to £14; set L £13 (2 courses) to £15.50; Express L £9.50 (main course, wine & coffee)
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.30 (Sun 22.00); mains £10 to £14
- Seats: 60, plus 8 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list kicks off at about £20
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Bayswater Underground
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: 1 week Christmas
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating