Find this good gastro pub tucked away down some side streets - but it's worth seeking out. As well as the bar and dining area, there's a garden, which is regularly used for classy BBQ's in the summer.
During the week, they open for breakfast, then after a short break the kitchen moves into lunch mode. For this & dinner, it's worth booking early if you want a plum table - especially in fair weather, when the garden in particular, fills up quickly.
Although the menu changes a little each day, expect the likes of 'Potted Rabbit with Green Tomato Relish & Sourdough Toast'; 'Honey-Roast Root Vegetables & Grilled Pear Salad with Pine Nuts & Breton Cider Dressing'; 'Sautéed Wild Mushrooms with Grilled Polenta & Deep-Fried Poached Eggs' and 'Dorset Dressed Crab with Pickled Cucumber & Sourdough Toast' among the starters.
The likes of 'Butternut Squash Risotto with Tomato, Green Beans & Parmesan'; 'Seared Scallops with Black Pudding, Grilled Fennel & Parsley Salad'; 'Longhorn Beef Cottage Pie with Steamed Spinach' and 'Roast Lamb Rump with Dauphinoise Potatoes, Aubergine, Spinach & Rosemary Gravy' listed among the mains.
A few desserts might include 'English Cox & Rhubarb Crumble Cake'; 'Sticky Toffee Pudding' and 'Walnut & Coffee Cake with Spiced Ginger Ice Cream' - while there are a few artisan varieties for cheese lovers.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00, Sat 12.00-16.00, Sun 12.00-16.00; plus Breakfast Mon-Fri 8.30-11.00; mains about £12 to £19
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.00, Sun 18.00-21.00; mains about £12 to £19
- Wine: a well-chosen list has modest mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Barnes Bridge Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec, 1st Jan.
- Outside eating