In premises that in their time have houses successful ventures such as Le Francais and latter Langhan's Brasserie - you'll now find a good brasserie-style operation, run by Sam Metcalfe (who also has Sams at Sevendials Restaurant in the city [q.v.]).
Expect bentwood chairs & bare tables dressed up with crisp white napery.
A concise menu, is backed up by blackboard specials, but an early summer menu listed 'Cream of Butternut Suash Soup with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds'; 'Shetland Rope-Grown Mussels with Herb Crumb' and Char-Grilled Asparagus with Wild Garlic Butter & Dressed Leaves' among the starters.
'Crispy Mushroom & Ruffle Oil Polenta with Fresh Tomato Sauce'; 'Pan-Fried Skate Wing on Sautéed Potatoes, Spring Greens and Shrimp Butter'; 'Confit of Duck Leg with Gratin Dauphinoise, Green Beans, Roast Plum and Red Wine Jus' and 'Char-Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Chips, Rocket, Slow Roast Tomatoes, Wild Garlic Butter and Red Wine Jus' listed among the mains.
A short list of tasty puds could include 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Vanilla & Ginger Ice Cream and Toffee Sauce'; 'Bramley Apple & White Peach Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream' and 'Warm Chocolate Brownie, Pistachio Ice Cream & Hot Chocolate Sauce. While cheese lovers are not forgotten, with a couple of local varieties on offer.
Small things let the side down, such as the quality of the bread (which is listed as home-baked), when excellent sources are available in the city. To enjoy your experience it shouldn't be too much to ask than to have at least the same standard you enjoy at home!
That said, their weekday set lunch is a bargain not to be missed.
- Lunch: Thurs-Sat 12.00-15.00, Sun 10.00-15.00; weekday set L £10 (1 course), £12 (2 courses), £14 (3 courses); L Sun mains about £8 to £16 plus Brunch
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.00; Tues-Thurs set D between 18.00 & 19.00; £10 (1 course), £12 (2 courses), £14 (3 courses); mains £13 to £18
- Wine: a concise, but well-chosen, list has modest mark ups and a good selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Short Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Brighton Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: some Bank Holidays