A good gastro pub, with the benefit of real ales, a beer garden and crackling winter fires. The kitchen team has built up a good list of local suppliers.
A summer menu snapshot offered 'Buckland Manor Tomatoes with Charred Sourdough & Cerney Ash Goats Cheese'; 'Crab with Pickled Samphire & Seaweed Toast'; 'Chicken Terrine en Croute with Piccalilli’ and 'Salt Cod Brandade with Harissa Peppers, Parsley & Fennel Salad' among the starters.
'Beer Battered Fillet of Haddock with Home-Cut Chips & Mushy Pies'; 'Beef Burger with Ogleshield Cheese, Paddock Farm Smoked Bacon & Hand-Cut Chips'; 'Steak & Ale Pie with Bobby Beans & Potatoes’ and 'Risotto with English Sweetcorn, Trompette Mushrooms & Crispy Braddock White Egg' listed among the mains.
If you have a sweet tooth, you may be tempted by 'Hot Chocolate Mousse & Salted Caramel with Peanut Butter Ice Cream'; 'White Chocolate Panna Cotta with Raspberries & Honeycomb’ and 'Warm Banana Cake, Banoffee Ice Cream & Rum Syrup'.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.30, Sun 12.00-18.00; mains about £12 to £20; set L Mon-Fri £11.95 (2 courses); set L Sun £20 (2 courses), £25 (3 courses) - plus lighter Bar dishes
- Dinner: Mon-Thurs 18.30-21.30, Fri & Sat 18.39-21.00; mains about £15 to £20; set D Mon-Thurs £11.95 (2 courses)
- Wine: a well-chosen list has fair mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Moreton-in-Marsh Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun, check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available