The elegant Royal Hotel offers various dining options. The Hamborough Bar or Terrace where you can enjoy brasserie-style dishes ranging from a Sandwich through Burgers to Steaks and 'Catch of the Day', and more seriously in the Appuldurcombe Restaurant, where dining is more formal.
An autumn snapshot of the menu here included 'Pan-Seared Scallops with Cauliflower Purée'; 'Roasted Quail with Caramelised Shallot Tarte Tatin'; 'Chicken Liver & Foie Gras Parfait with Semi-Dried Muscat Grapes, Pistachios & Pain D'Epice' and 'Cauliflower Cheese Risotto, Parmesan Tuile & Thyme Foam' among the starters.
Then included 'Pan-Fried Brill Fillet with Mussels Poached in Beer & Three-Times-Cooked Chips'; 'Breast of Free-Range Chicken with Creamed Potatoes, Autumn Vegetables & Roast Chicken Jus'; 'Duo of English Beef Pan Fried Fillet & Braised Shin with Curly Kale & Red Wine Sauce' and 'Millefeuille of Ratatouille with Confit Potatoes & Tomato Fondue' among the list of mains.
Desserts are beautifully-presented, with perhaps 'Banana & Melted Chocolate Soufflé with Vanilla Ice Cream'; 'Vanilla Pannacotta with Caramelised Pears & Mulled Wine Figs' and 'Praline Mousse in Marbled Chocolate' there to tempt you.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Summer all week, enquire winter; 12.00-13.45; set L £29.50 (2 courses), £38.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 18.45-21.00; set D £29.50 (2 courses), £38.50 (3 courses)
- Seats: 100
- Wine: a well-chosen list has good choice under the £20 mark
- Children's portions: No children under 5 years of age in Appuldurcombe Restaurant
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: check winter opening
- Rooms available