The elegant Royal Hotel offers various dining options. The Hamborough Bar or Terrace – where you can enjoy brasserie-style dishes ranging from a Sandwich through Burgers to Steaks and 'Catch of the Day', and more seriously in the Restaurant, where dining is more formal.
An autumn snapshot of the menu here included 'Flamed South Coast Mackerel with Cucumber Ketchup & Watercress Velouté ; 'Pan-Roasted Wood Pigeon with Pearl Barley. Local Beetroot, Salsify & Pigeon Jus'; 'Sautéed Duck Liver with Peach, Gingerbread & Toasted Cashew Nuts' and 'Green Barn Goats Cheese with Chorizo Marmalade, Rye & Olive Crumb & Parsley Oil' among the starters.
Mains included 'Pan-Fried Sea Trout with Sea Lettuce, Egg Yolk Ravioli & Watercress Velouté'; 'Poached & Roasted Breast of Chicken with Smoked Sausage, Garlic Purée, White Beans, Mustard Greens & Chicken Jus'; 'Duo of English Beef – Pan Fried Fillet & Braised Shin with Curly Kale & Red Wine Sauce' and 'Millefeuille of Ratatouille with Confit Potatoes & Tomato Fondue' among the list of mains.
Desserts are beautifully-presented, with perhaps 'Banana & Melted Chocolate Soufflé with Vanilla Ice Cream'; 'Vanilla Pannacotta with Caramelised Pears & Mulled Wine Figs' and 'Lemon Parfait with Pistachio Custard, Yoghurt Sorbet & Marshmallow' there to tempt you.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Summer all week, enquire winter; 12.00-13.45; set L £17 (2 courses), £23 (3 courses); set L Sun £25 (2 courses), £31 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 18.45-21.00; set D £31 (2 courses), £40 (3 courses); Tasting Menu £50 (last orders 20.30 - entire table only)
- Seats: 100
- Wine: a well-chosen list has good choice around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: No children under 5 years of age in Restaurant
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: check winter opening hours
- Rooms available