Built as an ale house in the late 1840's, this family-run foodie pub is still very much the village local offering open fires, real ales, plus mulled wine when the weather demands.
On the food front, you can dine in one of the two bars, in the pleasant garden or more formally in the converted stable block - which is now a dedicated restaurant.
The kitchen offers a menu largely composed of local produce, and this is displayed attractively - sometimes with the help of slate platters, and while the menu follows the seasons, winter starters such as 'Confit Horsted Keynes Pheasant & Prune Terrine with Piccalilli'; 'Thai-Spiced Fishcake with Saffron Aioli'; 'Split Pea & Ham Soup with Bacon Crisps & Toasted Ciabatta' and 'Carpaccio of local Duck with Orange, Vanilla & Cardamom Oil' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Classic Fish & Chips in Beer Batter with Caper Mayonnaise & Mushy Peas'; 'Spicy Portland Crab & Saffron Risotto with Sweet Chili & Parmesan Cheese'; 'Pan-Roasted Crown of Pigeon with Sautéed Salsify, Jerusalem Artichoke, Sweet Shallot & Pancetta'; 'Sussex Rib Eye Steak with Thyme-Roasted Tomato, Portobello Mushroom & Chips' and 'Navarin of Danehill Lamb with Smokey Bacon Bubble & Squeak' among the list of mains.
Those with a sweet tooth might be tempted by 'Apple Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream'; 'Hot Chocolate Fondant with Iced Pistachio Parfait' or 'Bitter Orange Pannacotta with Dark Chocolate Honeycomb & Burnt Honey Sauce'.
Service in the restaurant is friendly and helpful.
Snacks, such as sandwiches, are also offered at lunchtimes - but we have had mixed reviews on these.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.00, Sat & Sun 12.00-14.30; mains about £12 to £20
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 19.00-21.00, Sun 17.00-20.00; mains about 12 to £20
- Seats: 60, plus 70 outside
- Wine: a concise, but well-chosen, list has modest mark ups.
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but phone ahead for advice
- Nearest station: Haywards Heath (5 miles)
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes, but limited
- Closed: Check Christmas openings
- Outside eating