A dependable and deservedly-popular restaurant, where Rob Mabey offers well-cooked dishes and a good selection from the best of the local catch. They also offer dishes from their own smokehouse - such as 'Smoked Salmon, Gravadlax, Whole Smoked Prawns & Brandon Rost'.
Starters such as 'Mediterranean Fish Soup with Rouille & Croûtons'; 'Terrine of Local Pheasant with Pistachio Nut & Prune Chutney'; 'Baked Goats Cheese with Rosemary & Shallots in a Filo Parcel' and 'Half a Dozen Callingford Oysters' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Crispy Belly of Pork with Thai Spices'; 'Roast Breast of Chicken with Sweet Potato Purée'; 'Gratin of Crayfish & Leek Thermidor' plus locally-caught fish of the day among the list of mains.
Desserts might include 'Vanilla Crème Brulée'; 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream' plus various homemade sorbets.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; mains about £12 to £27
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.00; mains about £12 to £27
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible - plus High Chairs (but phone ahead if possible)
- Nearest station: Saxmundham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Air conditioned