« back to restaurants search results
Fitzwalter ArmsThe Street, Goodnestone, Kent, CT3 1PJ
While still very much a 'local' with Shepherd Neame ales, bare wooden tables and winter fires, under the guidance of chef David Hart, this has become a destination gastro-pub offering seasonal food based very much on carefully-sourced local suppliers.
The short menu with perhaps four or five choices at each stage - is displayed on a blackboard; and while this is in a constant state of flux, and autumn snapshot brought 'Mulligatawny Soup with Coriander'; 'Home-Cured Bresaola with Parmesan & Chives' and 'Mussels with Cider, Leeks & Cream' among the starters.
'Confit Pork Belly with Crackling & Rhubarb'; 'Hare Braised in Red Wine with Juniper & Buttered Tagliatelle' and 'Pan-Fried Bream Fillet with Squid & Gremolata' listed among the mains.
Those with a sweet tooth could finish with 'Milk Chocolate Tart with Nibbed Peanuts & Salted Caramel Ice Cream'; 'Roasted Pear on French Toast with Honey Ice Cream' or 'Rhubarb Sundae with Ginger Nuts'. While cheese lovers can choose from their selection of British artisan varieties.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon, then Weds-Sat 12.00-14.00; Sun 12.00-14.30; mains about £8 to £11
- Dinner: Mon, then Weds-Sat 19.00-21.00; mains about £8 to £11
- Seats: 25, plus 20 outside
- Wine: a concise, mainly generic list from Shepherd Neame, kicks off at £13 & has modest mark-ups
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun, all Tues, 25th Dec, 1st Jan.
- Outside eating