After over ten years at The George Hotel at Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight, Kevin & Jacki Mangeolles have opened this former coaching in as a restaurant with rooms with ambitious aims.
Kevin's excellent cooking is given the backdrop of a romantic 17th century candlelit setting.
He has quickly built up an excellent network of local suppliers, and these are given due provenance on the menu listings. A winter snapshot brought Poached Thornham Oysters with Warm Crab, Avocado Salad & Lobster Bisque'; 'Wood Pigeon with Foie Gras Mousse, Ox Tongue Beignet & Artichoke Purée' and 'Smoked Haddock & Red Pepper Cannelloni, with Basil Dressing & Pine Kernels' among the starters.
'Breast of Gressingham Duck with Almond Praline, Red Cabbage & Dauphinoise Potatoes'; 'Loin of Pork with Potato Purée Savoy Cabbage & Wild Mushroom Sauce' and 'Sea Bass with Chicken Wings, Baby Turnips & Watercress Sauce' listed among the mains.
The desserts are of a very high standard with 'Dark Chocolate Mousse with Pistachio Praline, Pistachio Ice Cream & Caramel Sauce' and 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Poached Pear & Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream' setting the style while those with a more savoury tooth should enjoy their selection of Artisan Cheeses.
A stay in one of their comfortable bedrooms would complete the experience, and save a trip home.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: L Sun 12.00-13.30; set L £27.50 (2 courses), £33.50 (3 courses) Lunch Weds-Fri by Arrangement
- Dinner: Tues-Sun 19.00-21.00; mains £27.95
- Seats: 22
- Wine: a well chosen list kicks off with a selection of house wines at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: children of over 10 years old only
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Kings Lynn Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Mon, 26th Dec, 2 weeks Nov, 2 weeks Jan.
- Rooms available