A popular foodie pub belonging to a small group, comprising The Caunton Beck and The Wig & Mitre in Lincoln (both q.v's). They offer some kind of food all day, starting with breakfast dishes, which range from Cereals to full Champagne versions. At noon the main à la carte and various set menus kick in, and the kitchen uses seasonal produce for these much of it local. 'Duck & Chicken Liver Parfait with Spiced Fruit Chutney & Toasted Brioche'; 'Plate of Home-Cured Salmon' and 'Goats Cheese & Pine Nut Beignets with Beetroot Salad & Orange Syrup' set the style for late winter starters. With the likes of 'Pan-Roasted Spiced Salmon with Couscous, Green Beans & Coriander Crème Fraiche'; 'Fillet of Atlantic Cod on Wild Mushroom & Truffle Couscous' 'Butternut Squash & Caramelised onion Risotto with Parmesan' and 'Rump of Lamb with Colcannon Mash & Roasted Parsnips' listed among the mains. Puds are a strong suite, with perhaps 'White & Duck Chocolate Parfait with Vanilla Sablé Biscuits'; 'Baileys Crème Brulée with Warm Apple Sponge'; Warm Rice Pudding with Apple Compote' and 'Apple & Blackberry Crumble with Custard' there to tempt you.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 10.00-22.00; set L £12.50 (2 courses), £14.95 (3 courses); mains £11 to £25
- Dinner: all week 10.00-22.00; set D from 19.00 £12.50 (2 courses), £14.95 (3 courses); mains £11 to £25
- Wine: a well-chosen list travels the world, has modest mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Lincoln Central Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page