Find this good restaurant in this renovated art gallery, with it's splendid modern spaces and impressive exhibitions.
Expect no over-complications, just carefully-sourced seasonal dishes on a menu constructed with the guidance of top-chef Angela Hartnett - and clear flavours in dishes made without gimmicks.
A summer snapshot brought 'Pan Fried Chicken Livers on Toast with Bacon & Balsamic Reduction'; 'Char-Grilled Courgettes with Hazelnuts & Gremolata Dressing; 'Ham Hock & Parsley Terrine with Homemade Piccalilli' and 'Pan-Fried Mackerel with Tomato & Fennel Salad' amongst the starters.
'Chicken Salad with Shallots, Avocado, Cashews & Tarragon'; 'Roast Pollock with Spinach, Paloudre Clams & Brown Shrimp Beurre Blanc' and 'Mozzarella Melenzane with Spring Leaf Salad' list on the offered mains.
A short list of desserts might include 'Lemon Tart with Raspberry Coulis' and 'Dark Chocolate Mousse'.
There's also a café of site, offering less ambitious dishes.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Fri 12.00-15.00, Sun 12.00 16.00; mains about £12 to £17; set L Sun £23 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Weds-Sat 18.00-21.30; mains about £12 to £17
- Seats: 36
- Wine: a concise list kicks off at around the £19 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Aldgate East Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: all Mon, 25th Dec to Jan 3rd