Find this good French restaurant, covering three floors, just off the town's market square.
You'll find well-cooked bistro-style dishes, without too many frills in a pleasant atmosphere and with good service all in a style to be found in the French provinces (but dare we say it - better!).
Starters such as 'French Onion Soup with Garlic Croûtons & Gruyere'; 'Assiette of Charcuterie'; 'Chicken Liver Parfait with Onion Compote & Cornichons' and 'Escargots with Garlic Butter' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Lamb Tagine with Couscous, Mediterranean Vegetables & Chick Peas'; 'Pan-Fried Halibut with Saffron Pomme Purée with Light Mussel Jus'; 'Crispy Duck Confit with Lyonnaise Potatoes, Bacon & Savoy Cabbage' and 'Sautéed Herb Gnocchi with Wild Mushrooms & Pea Shoots with Crème Fraiche' listed among the mains.
Simple traditional desserts might include 'Tart Tatin'; 'Profiteroles with Vanilla Ice Cream' and 'Crème Caramel with Langues de Chat'.
- Food Style: French
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-14.00; set L £9.95 (2 courses), £12.95 (3 courses); mains £12 to £19
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.00-21.30; set Early Bird D 18.00-19.00 £12.95 (2 courses), £14.95 (3 courses); mains £12 to £19
- Seats: 130
- Wine: a well-chosen list, concentrates mainly on France, and has modest mark-ups.
- Wheelchair access: Yes, ground floor only
- Nearest station: Hexham Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Sun & Mon. (expect perhaps Mothering Sunday & suchlike); Bank Holidays, 10 days Feb.
- Air conditioned