This is just the place for lovers of unadulterated seafood. The concept is based on restaurants of this type experienced on the owners travels, and it's certainly unique in the city.
Expect a buzzy atmosphere, and the basics as far as comfort is concerned - with a mix of chrome and, exposed brickwork and old planking and a mixture of bar stools and tables. A mezzanine floor adds to the atmosphere, but isn't really suitable for those over average height.
On the food front, expect whole Crab Claws (with a bowl of mayonnaise), Crab Cakes, Split Langoustines (perhaps with garlic butter),Squid Vongole (clams), Cold & Grilled Lobster (sold by weight) Squid various ways (including tempura) and the highlight of Fruits de Mer (for 2 people minimum).
Desserts are not designed to be the main event, but items such as pannacotta and various ice creams should satisfy those with a compulsive sweet tooth.
There have also been criticisms of the quality of the chips!
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-22.00, Sun 12.00-17.00; Crab Claws (about £6 for 3); Fruits de Mer £48 (2 people)
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 12.00-22.00, Sun 12.00-17.00; Crab Claws (about £6 for 3); Fruits de Mer (2 people)
- Wine: a concise list kicks off at about £14
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Exhibition Centre or Charing Cross Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: all Mon, D Sun