This unspoilt country inn, with no piped music or fruit machines, offers both good food and comfortable bedrooms.
Eat in the bar, in one of their scattered dining rooms or in the pleasant rear garden.
The kitchen headed by Tim Sandy, offers carefully cooked dishes with more of a hint of the Continent and sometimes further afield.
Starters such as 'Chicken Liver & Tarragon Parfait with Homemade Pickles & Red Onion Marmalade'; 'Plate of St. Mawes Smoked Salmon with Capers, Rocket & Black Pepper' and 'Warm Goats' Cheese Tart with Red Pepper & Basil Salad' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Tuscan-Style Fish Stew with Mixed Olives, Tomatoes & Fresh Herbs'; 'Leg of Duck Confit with Buttered Spinach and Balsamic Jus'; 'Slow-Roasted Five Spice Belly of Pork with Spring Onion & Hoi Sin Sauce' and 'Basil, Garlic & Pine Nut Risotto with Parmesan & Rocket' listed among the mains.
Specials including Fish of the Day and traditional desserts are listed on blackboards.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Dinner: all week from 18.00-21.00; mains £15 to £20
- Wine: a concise list with modest mark-ups is backed up by real ale and scrumpy cider
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Tiverton Parkway (15 miles)
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: Restaurant L week, 25th Dec.
- Outside eating
- Rooms available