This Grade II listed pub, overlooking The White Horse of Westbury, and until recently in decline, has been given a tasteful makeover. All is unspoilt however, with an interior mixture of flagstone floors and lime-washed walls and worn club chairs and old paintings - one room resembling an old gentleman's club.
On the food front, the system is to find a numbered table, place your order at the bar then table service takes over. The kitchen's aims are in no way those of a gastro pub, instead offering honestly-cooked pub classics, all produced in-house plus modern style 'Grazing Dishes'.
These can be mixed and matched, making them suitable for a snack or something more substantial. Dishes such as 'Hummus with Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Smoked Paprika'; 'Shredded Five Spice Duck with Honey Glaze' and 'Chorizo in Red Wine & Garlic' set their style.
More traditional listings include 'Ploughman's' (with Vintage Barbers Cheddar), various Salads and items from the Grill.
Other popular mains might include 'Ale-Battered Haddock Fillet with Chunky Chips & Mushy Peas'; 'Goats Cheese & Pea Tart with Smoked Paprika Pastry, New Potatoes & Salad' and 'Linguine with Surf Clams, Chili & Lime'.
A few desserts such as 'Chocolate Brownie with Vanilla Ice Cream' and 'Raspberry Crème Brulée' are there to tempt you if you still have room.
A no booking policy means avoiding peak times if you're in a hurry or arriving early.
The pub also offers breakfast between 9.00-12.00 (Sun from 10.00), offering everything from coffee through 'Toast with Butter & Homemade Jam' to 'Full English' (including a vegetarian version).
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-22.00; Grazing Dishes £2.75 (3 for £7.50); mains £8 to £15
- Dinner: all week 12.00-22.00; Grazing Dishes £2.75 (3 for £7.50); mains £8 to £15
- Seats: 90, plus 60 outside on a pleasant terrace
- Wine: a concise list travels the world, and has modest mark-ups. There are always interesting real ales plus excellent cider on draught.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Bradford on Avon Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Rooms available