A good gastro-pub, belonging to the enterprising Jersey Pottery Group - and picturesquely-set overlooking the harbour & castle.
Seasonal local food, and seafood in particularly, is the name of the game. The menu being laid out in such a way that many dishes are offered in starter and main course helpings.
An autumn example listed 'Jersey Crab Cakes with Herb Salad & Sweet & Sour Chili Sauce'; 'Iberico Ham with Rocket & Parmesan with Sherry Vinegar Dressing'; 'Carsar Salad with Soft Poached Egg, Croûtons & Parmesan Shavings' and 'Spicy Tempura Ribs & King Prawns with Asian Coleslaw & Ginger Chili Sauce' among the starters.
'Dover Sole Veronique with Grapes, Spinach & White Wine Sauce'; 'Grilled Rib Eye Steak au Poivre with Grilled Tomatoes, Mushrooms & Chips'; 'Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Caramelised Onions, Roast Peppers, Wilted Spinach & Melted Cheddar Rabbit' and 'Fritto Misto - Tempura Prawns, Squid & Today's White Fish - with Tartare Sauce, Lemon & Chips' listed among the mains.
Perhaps finish with 'Spotted Dick with Ice Cream or Custard'; 'Roast Apple Parfait with Hazelnut Crunch & Caramel Sauce' or 'Toffee Banana and Pecan Pudding with Honey Crunch Ice Cream & Toffee Sauce'.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-14.30 (Sun 10.30-15.00); mains about £10 to £19
- Dinner: Tues-Thurs 18.00-20.30, Fri & Sat 18.30-21.00; mains about £10 to £19
- Wine: a well-chosen list has modest mark-ups
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page
- Closed: all Mon, check Christmas openings