A popular foodie pub, in the shadow of the village church, offering carefully-cooked bar snacks, ranging from 'Ham, Egg & Chips' through 'Freshly-Dressed Devon Crab Salad' to open Sandwiches - plus a full á la carte menu.
All changes with the seasons, but 'Grilled Fillet of Mackerel with a Rocket & Parmesan Salad'; 'Poached Pear, Gorgonzola & Walnut Salad' and 'Chicken Liver Paté with Red Onion Marmalade' set the style for starters.
With perhaps 'Char-grilled whole Sea Bass'; 'Chicken Supreme with Wild Mushrooms, Parma Ham & Brandy Cream Sauce'; 'Pan-Roasted Duck Breast with Braised Red Cabbage & Smoked Beetroot Purée' - plus an assortment of Aberdeen Angus Steaks from the grill listed amongst the mains.
Good home-made desserts might include 'Lemon, Lime & Ginger Posset' and 'Rum &Raisin Crème Brulée'.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-14.00 (14.30); set L Tues-Sat £13.50 (2 courses), £1.50 (3 courses); set L Sun £15.95 (2 courses); mains about £14 to £28 (plus lighter bar snacks)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.30-21.00 (21.30 Fri & Sat); set D Tues-Thurs £13.50 (2 courses), £16.50 (3 courses); mains about £14 to £28
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Nearest station: Flitwick Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun, all Mon for food