Find this excellent foodie pub n Kelham Island, once an industrial estate, but now a conservation area.
You can eat in the bar, and also - during the evening - in their upstairs dining room. Seasonal local food is much to the fore, and meat from their own herd of rare-breed pigs in particular; and some of their food combinations can sound strange - but generally work well.
An autumn snapshot brought 'Duck Brandade with Sesame Cucumber & Milestone Ketchup'; 'Oxtail and Soured Girolle Salad with Carrot Oil & Watercress'; 'Scallop with Lobster Mayonnaise & Pea Shoots' and 'Pea Pannacotta with Seeds & Oils' among the starters.
'Mussels with White Wine, Smoked Garlic & Chive Crème Fraiche'; 'Beetroot & Sweet Herb Risotto with Goats' Cheese & Truffle Tortellini'; 'Milestone Open Lamb Burger with Mint Yoghurt, Celeriac Coleslaw, Rough Cut Chips & Side Salad' and 'Beef Rump & Short Rib served with a Tea Infused Fondant' listed among the mains.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by the like of 'Treacle Tart with Lemon Pith Purée & Crème Fraiche Ice Cream'; 'White Peach & Champagne Soup with Raspberry Pannacotta & Berries' and 'Dark Chocolate Frangipane, Figs, Red Wine Ripple Ice Cream & Hazelnuts'.
The weekend also brings Brunch with 'Full English Breakfast', 'Eggs Benedict' and the like on offer.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-22.00, Sat 11.00-22.00, Sun 9.00-21.00; set L £12 (2 courses); set L Sun £9.95; mains £10 to £16
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 12.00-22.00, Sat 11.00-22.00, Sun 9.00-21.00; set D from £12 (2 courses); mains £12 to £19
- Seats: 100
- Wine: a well-chosen list has modest mark ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Sheffield Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec.