Curran's has been run by the same family since its inception in the late 18th century.
Over the years food has become an increasingly important part of their repertoire, and this is now focused on the excellent seafood landed just 2 miles away at Ardglass, plus top-quality local beef and other locally-produced items.
The cooking style is traditional and honest - with honest flavours but few frills.
Starters such as 'Baked Mushrooms with Herb Crumble Topping'; 'Crispy Duck Salad with Hoi Sin Sauce'; 'Prawn Cocktail' and 'Oven Baked BBQ Pork Ribs & Salad' set the style for starters.
With perhaps 'Traditional Battered Fish with Mushy Peas & Chips'; 'Seafood Platter - with Prawns, Crab Claws, Potted Herrings, Mussels, Smoked Salmon & Seafood Chowder'; 'Steakburger with Salad & Coleslaw'; 'Chicken Curry with Rice' plus good steaks included among the mains.
Traditional desserts such as 'Rich Chocolate Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream'; 'Pavlova with Fresh Berries & Whipped Cream' and 'Sherry Trifle with Custard & Fresh Cream' might be there to tempt you if you still have room.
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: Sun-Thurs 12.30-8.30, Fri & Sat 12.30-21.00, Sun 12.30-16.00 (Sunday Carvery plus main menu); mains £9 to £20
- Dinner: Sun-Thurs 12.30-8.30, Fri & Sat 12.30-21.00; mains £9 to £20
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Lisburn Rail (24 miles)
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page.